Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent cover

Divergent

Author: Veronica Roth

Series:Divergent #1

Summary

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, Tris also learns that her secret might help her save the ones she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Review

This was another series that I had never heard of until I saw the preview for the movie. When I asked my older sister to borrow the Mortal Instruments series, I also asked to read the Divergent series since I knew she had them and I figured that I would want to watch the movie when it finally comes out. I didn't know anything about it, not even the main characters name. I went into it knowing nothing.

My first thought when I started reading the book was: This is going to be like The Hunger Games. I hadn't read The Hunger Games because I couldn't get into the first person present telling, but I had watched the movie. The post-apocalyptic world with a new order-type story. But I decided to give it a chance because I had a feeling that I was going to enjoy it.

And I did. I like the idea that the world was broken up into factions that honored the virtue that they think is best. It shows a great, chasm-like divide between these groups of people. The world is definitely different place in this book, and I think that is part of what made it so believable.It follows Beatrice Prior, a sixteen year girl who is days away from having to decide whether she wants to stay in her faction or choose another and leave her family behind forever.

The only thing I really had a problem with was a few elements were predictable. There was a slightly big reveal over halfway through the book, but I already saw it coming. Instead of being astounded that I missed it, it just confirmed what I was thinking already. The biggest plot reveal was the same way. There were just so many hints to what was coming that there was no real mystery in what was coming for the characters and the story.

My favorite decision in the story is Beatrice changing her name to "Tris." I think is signified a major change in her during the course of the story. It was such a subtle thing, but it was a powerful decision. Names are important.

I would definitely suggest this book to anyone who was looking for a good read. I look forward to reading the next one.

Rating

5 stars

 photo ReviewedbyStamp.png

No comments:

Post a Comment